Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My Codependent Rights

I wrote these up to remind me not to have codependent behavior. While my husband was acting out on his addictions throughout the years (without my knowledge), I became more and more codependent. While I didn't know what the problem was, I felt like my life was out of control so I attempted to control all other aspects of my life. I was constantly helping people, even if they didn't ask for help. I put my needs last. I was overcommitted to everything and couldn't say no. I neglected my own health and sanity. So once I figured out the source of the problem, I began my journey of healing. Here is my list to share with you.

* I have a right to dignity and respect.
* I have the right to say “no.”
* I have a right to set my own priorities and say “no” to anything that conflicts with my priorities.
* I have a right to stand up for myself.
* I have a right and responsibility NOT to fix everyone else’s problems.
* I have the right not to worry about preventing pain in other’s lives.
* I have the right not to over-commit myself.
* I have a right to show my feelings.
* I have a right to say “I don’t care.”
* I have the right to change my mind.
* I have the right to make mistakes.
* I have a right to spend time on nurturing myself.
* I have the right to enjoy my relationship with my husband.
* I have a right not to feel guilty when I am doing the best I can.
* I have the right not to over-do every project I’m involved with.
* I have the right not to have to look good to everyone.
* I have the right to protect my body and spirit and to not eat or drink things that are bad for my body.
* I have the right to receive guidance from Heavenly Father daily.
* I have the right to be frustrated, but the obligation to react with dignity.

No comments: